Sunday, September 30, 2012

Garden of Gethsemane

So this week has been back to the routine of classes everyday. There is a lot of reading everynight, we had a midterm and a paper due, so I didn't make it out too much this week. Friday, a few of us walked over to the Garden of Gethsemane. It was my first time there. Our walk down was funny, we took a short cut at the bottom of the Kidron Valley and there was two large geese on the dirt road, one of them was hissing and charging at us. Jed of course challenges it so we all walk around while it chased him for a second. We were walking along the base of the mount of Olives checking out little caves in the rock, the cool olive trees, and I was a little stressed because we weren't supposed to take that route. We then made it to one of the churches that has made a nice garden around some 2000 old olive trees. The trees had some younger trees grafted into them. We all sat on a stone bench against the church and while looking upon the garden we discussed the Atonement. It was a great discussion, and Jed mentioned something that I thought was interesting and kind of true. He said that His testimony of the savior doesn't strengthen from being at the sights, he said when he thinks, discusses, and studies the savior he has the same feeling, no matter where he is. I agree with this statement, we have been to many areas where the Savior has been, I have been really grateful to be here in this place, but my testimony is strengthened because the places draw my thoughts to the Savior, and the spirit, the same feeling I have felt since my baptism comes, and I know. So, Yes being in these places fosters or facilitates my spiritual growth, but I don't feel that they are the root or foundation of my testimony. Its much like faith vs. Signs, even though people see signs and miracles doesn't necessarily mean they will be converted and have strong faith. My faith in the Savior comes through application of principles with the accommodation of the Holy Ghostand and seeing those changes in my life. Nonetheless, it was a peaceful time at the Garden of Gethsemane.

No comments:

Post a Comment