Thursday, September 6, 2012

Little Outing to West Jerusalem

So yesterday, September 5th, was filled with classes and studying. I had my first class meeting with my Arabic teacher. He is absolutely hilarious. He is an overweight Arabic Muslim, who was wearing a tight (due to his weight) teal polo shirt, very nice glasses, and had hilarious mannerisms and facial expressions. He is extremely outgoing, very dry and witty sense of humor. He picks on people and just rags on them. He reminded me of an Arabic version of my High School teacher Mr. Carey. The whole class was cracking up the whole time, literally I felt like it was an instructive comedy routine...which I found absolutely fantastic. After the class some of my friends were going to West Jerusalem but I was going to study, last minute I decided to join them. It was me, Quinn, Brooke, Alta, Rachel (rayray), and Janessa. We took a van from the center for 50 Shekels. We just cruised around Ben Yehuda st. and the side streets. We got some dinner and just walked around. We danced in front of a street performer who was in a wife-beater, jeans, and sandals. We were in a very good mood, just loving everything about our adventure. We would stop in little shops and look around at the interesting things for sale. We made observations of differences between our cultures, and also enjoyed the modernity of the west side of the city compared to the old city, a little taste of "home" if you will. We did this for about two and half hours then we came back to the center. It felt really good to get out of the center after being "cooped up in there for a few days. I also enjoyed people watching and the company of those who came in our group.

No comments:

Post a Comment