Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Field Trip to the Shephelah

Shephelah is pronounced (sh-vay-la; two syllables)...fun to say. This field trip was a longer one. We visited the ancient site of Samson and Delilah in the Sorek Valley. Then the Valley of Elah, we both looked down at it from Azekah and went down to the valley, this site is where David slew Goliath (1 Samuel 17). We visited some other relevant sites, but the highlight of the day was going to the wadi or brook where David gathered the 5 stones. We did a reenactment which was funny, we exercised our artistic liberties and used Batman lines that fit, Goliath was Bane, roommate did a wonderful impression of him. For example one line was, "I am Israels Reckoning" and so on. David was of course Batman, and I played Saul but using the character and accent of Alfred (Michael Caine). It was good fun. We then got to sling stones. I was a little nervous about doing this, especially with 40 of us, but I made sure to go as far away from people as I could. This did not help...First, Lizzy swung her's really fast and it went sideways really fast flying right at my head, luckily I ducked out of the way just in time. It was pretty scary, it was a rock the size of a lemon and it hummed in my ear as it passed by. Then, this girl Rachel did the same but it came from even further down the line, she didn't say heads up or anything, it landed 4 feet ways from me, I looked up and she just walked in the opposite direction without a word being said. So my roommates Jordan and Jed had for some reason had plenty of sling experience. They showed me how to do it and to my surprise I got the hand of it. It was fun and a good photo opp. We also went to these Caves called the Bell Caves, they were amazing!!! We also went to these other caves that people used to keep Doves and used as cisterns. I was sweating like nobodies business today, it was a humid hot, whcih I am noramlly used to but not wearing pants and shoes. I was dead tired by the time we got home at 5pm, we ate dinner then I studied for our Judaism Mid-Term.

No comments:

Post a Comment