Monday, January 14, 2013

Last Week of the Savior Day 1

This morning we woke up early to get to the other side of the separation wall over in Bethany.  We visited the site of Lazarus's tomb. There was a shop owner right there trying to sell us old slings, he grabbed a good size rock and just hurled way out into what looked like it would be a neighborhood, but we couldn't see so I assumed it was an empty field. We went into the tomb, then into the church nearby. After looking at the beautiful artwork in the church we went into the garden and listened to different class members give devotionals of the saviors life. This was the first site where Christ was anointed by Mary, Lazarus's sister. We then went to a church that commemorated the site of Jesus mounting the Colt on the mount of Olives before his triumphal entry into the city. We went around behind the church to get a view of Bethany and to see how close it was to the site, but because of the separation wall, it was a half hour drive. It was probably a 15 minute walk. We also checked out some first century tombs back there. It was beautiful back behind that church, the grass was vibrantly green and the sun was coming through the trees. Our next stop was the Church of Pater Noster which had the lords prayer up on the walls in 140 different languages. I looked for Hawaiian Pigdin but they didn't have it. We had a devotional there then walked to the church called Dominus Flevit. This commemorates Jesus weeping over the City of Jerusalem, there is a sweet view of the city from this church. We then walked down and had lunch at the Orson Hyde garden. We then drove up to the Church of Saint Peter in Gallicantu. This is a Catholic church commemorating the site of Peter's denial but also where Christ would have been held and where it was believed Annas lived. I gave the devotional here standing in front of a statue of Peter and the three people asking him about his association to Jesus. I read lyrics from a Thrice song called "like moth to flame" I got emotional while giving this devotional, because it means a lot to me. I spoke of how we all deny Christ, but he still forgives us and lets us back into his trust and care. The thrice lyrics at the end of the song are among my favorite:

I've never been this cold, the fire's gravity compels,
like planets cling to sol, I feel my orbit start to fail,
like moth to flame I come, too close and all my oaths are burned,
as stars begin to run, all my accusers take their turn,
and calling curses down, from my lips lies like poison spill,
and then that awful sound, the sound of prophesy fulfilled,
and then I met your eyes, and I remember everything,
and something in me dies, the night  that I betrayed my King.

After this, we walked up to the site of the Upper Room next to Dormition Abbey, there were Pentecostals there doing their thing so we didn't get to have our devotional there, but we did have one outside before going up so it was fine, mainly we wanted to sing hymns there but it was chaotic in there.We then ended the day at Dormition Abbey singing songs in the chapel and down below at the site of the burial of the Mother Mary. This was some awesome singing. We sang Christmas hymns.









No comments:

Post a Comment