Friday, August 31, 2012

Best Layover Ever

So on August 28th I traveled with the rest of my BYUJ group from SLC to JFK New York in which we had a 5 hour layover before departing to Tel Aviv. My old roommate, latin dancing mentor, dawn patorl logging partner, and friend Ian Patton lives in Brooklyn and wanted to see me during my layover. We initially wanted to surf, but I felt that I would somehow miss my flight if I did. So I flew into JFK and while the rest of the BYUJ group gathered together to wait in the airport for 5 hours I went straight out of the airport to meet Ian. We took the air train to the subway A train. We then took that to Rockaway Beach, 67 street. We walked to the boardwalk and enjoyed some mate as we watched the fun looking waves break as they were infested with surfers who left much to be desired of their skill and style. The waves were small and good shape and looked really fun for logging, we both expressed regret in not bringing boards and that I forgot my shorts. I continued to look at my watch and worry about missing my flight, but after a little while Ian talked me down with things like, "look man, calm down, you are with someone who has travelled to 23 countries and have been in worse situations." So we enjoyed our time catching up on life, seeing that we have not seen each other for about 9 months (the whole time our friend Cheka has had her child in her uterus). We walked toward the subway and decided to get some Rockaway stickers from the only surf shop in the whole area. Well, that worked out great because the guy ended up giving us stickers that said, "NY Sea" which I found very clever. Then we walked out to the sound of the subway coming, we book it up the stairs and realize that I still had to buy my Subway ticket. So we calmed down I bought the ticket and we waited 10 minutes for the next train. I was starting to stress a little bit. Once we got to my stop we said our goodbyes and then I ran up the stairs to get to the air train back to the airport. I made it back with plenty of time, but I started stressing because I was selected in the security line for a random check, then I heard the overcom saying that my flight was boarding! Then I realized that I was in the wrong terminal and that my gate was #6 and I was at #28 so I speedwalked for about half of a mile and was stressing the whole time. I show up to a very crowded and very culturally diverse waiting area at gate #6. My hands were trembling, I was sweating, but I had a smile on my face because I just had an adventure instead of sitting in a crowded gate with crying children and now room to sit for5 hours. We then loaded the plane, which was interesting, they made us go through another security check. It was a huge plane that was jammed packed and ready for the Holy Land, my nerves were finally calm and my excitemtent building with each mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment